Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Un-Wedding

Title: The Un-Wedding
Author and Illustrator: Babette Cole
Type: Picture
Grade Level: 2-5
Rating: 3 out of 5


Demetrius and Paula's parents do not get along.  The children fear it is their fault hut find out other children have the same exact problem.  Demetrius and Paula suggest an un-wedding and learn that everyone benefits from their parents' separation.

The book never actually says the word "divorce" but the reader infers that "unwedding" and divorce are the same thing.  Personally I did not experience divorce as a child but many of my friends did and like Demetrius and Paula they were confused and concerned it was their fault.  I think that the use of comedy makes the topic more light-hearted and easier to handle for the reader.  I could see parents potentially objecting to this book because of the unusual and uncomfortable topic but it is something children grapple with.

Divorce is an unusual classroom topic and especially unusual in children's literature but it is a relevant topic for many children.  With statistics as they are now then it is certain that several of my students will have parents that are divorced.  A book like this shows that parents disagreeing is common and that good can come out of a divorce.  I don't know how I would use this in my teaching but it would be a good reference to have available to my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment