Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Napping House

Title: The Napping House
Author: Audrey Wood
Illustrator: Don Wood
Type: Picture
Grade Level: K-2
Rating: 4 out of 5


"There is a house, a napping house, where everyone is sleeping."  It is a rainy day and everyone is taking a nap... crammed in the same bed!  What happens when a granny, a boy, a dog, a cat, a mouse and a flea all take a nap together?

I remember when I was little and my mom used to read me this story.  Her voice was so soothing to listen to as it followed the cadence of the repeated patterns of the book (Peterson & Eeds).  The flow and how the reader's voice sounds aloud is important for a story called The Napping House.  Since everyone is sleeping it is a great use of language to have the readers lulled into a comfortable and drowsy state just by the word choice.  I remember my mom and I would laugh together at the idea of the story which is wonderfully reinforced with the pictures.

The familiar people and animals combined with the repeated and predictable patterns sets an early reader at ease when reading this story.  It is also a fun story to read aloud (as I know from my own personal experiences) because of the cadence and patterns.  The order of events and even the idea of the story would be worthy for classroom discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment