Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Three Pigs

Title: The Three Pigs
Author and Illustrator: David Wiesner
Type: Picture
Grade Level: K-3
Rating: 4 out of 5

A twist to the classic tale of The Three Little Pigs.  The pigs escape from the pages of their story and adventure into other fairy tales.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story!  Like most people I grew up knowing the tale of The Three Little Pigs.  So when I started reading this book I thought it would be the same old thing but with Caldecott Award winning illustrations.  I was shocked when the pigs exited the frames of their pictures in order to escape the wolf.  The use of the illustrations creates a very unique structure to the tale.  It was because of them that the story had a different spin to it.

I had the pleasure of reading this with my child study student and she was blown away just like I had been.  On the page that one of the pigs first escapes she stopped to stare at the picture.  She knew something was different than what she was used to and hungrily read on.  The layout of the story was something she had never seen before and she loved it.  She was constantly pointing out things and excitedly talking about all that was happening in the unconventional pictures and use of text.  Having experienced this with one child I know that others will have a similar reaction to the story.  I could use this book in a comparison unit with reading other fairy tales or just other versions of The Three Little Pigs.  We could also talk about how the illustrations are used in this story and the idea of thinking outside the box when we work.

No comments:

Post a Comment