Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I Hadn't Meant to Tell You This

Title: I Hadn't Meant to Tell You This
Author: Jacqueline Woodson
Type: Novel
Grade Level: 4-6
Rating: 4 out of 5


Marie, an affluent black girl, and Lena, a down on her luck white girl, strike up the unlikeliest of friendships.  Despite their differences and society's disapproval the two bond over their shared experiences and the secrets they cannot tell anyone else.

This book had me hooked almost immediately.  The characters were wonderfully written by Woodson.  They were not flat and one dimensional characters but realistic and complex humans.  Having not dealt with most of the issues these girls face (parental abandonment, death and abuse, and racial conflict) I was taken along with them as they coped and learned from their experiences (Peterson & Eeds).  Marie and Lena were so strong and brave in the face of what they were confronted by and it was awe inspiring to me as a reader.  I had such an emotional attachment to them and felt their pain, fears, and joy.  Part of what makes this book so powerful is the controversy within.  I'm sure some parents would have issues with some of the content (sexual abuse, abandonment, death and racial discrimination).  I understand their concern and wish to protect their children but I believe that all students should be exposed to real life issues and not unduly sheltered.

I can definitely see the value in reading this book in the classroom.  It would give my students an opportunity to tackle some serious social issues.  The characters go through things that hopefully most of my students do not have personal experience with but it would be a growing experience for them and help them open their eyes to the realities of the world around them.  It wouldn't be an easy book to teach but I think it would be very rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment