Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Flotsam

Title: Flotsam
Author and Illustrator: David Wiesner
Type: Picture
Grade Level: K-2
Rating: 4 out of 5


A wordless picture book where a boy finds an old underwater camera while at the beach.  He gets the film developed and the pictures show him the existence of an underwater world and secrets unknown to man.

I really enjoyed this book because of its unique story plot idea but especially because of the beautiful and creative illustrations. There is so much detail and thought put into each picture which is so important seeing as it is a wordless picture book.  Everything is open to interpretation but the pictures act as guides throughout the story.

I had placed this book on my kitchen table when I got home from the library and all of my roommates at some point opened it up and were intrigued by it.  I think that since all the interactions I've witnessed surrounding this book (including my own) have been so positive and interested that this book would be a great pick for using in the classroom.  Children love picture books and this one is different in that the illustrations seem so realistic ad relatable to any reader who is familiar with the beach setting.  Then comes the science fiction!  Students would surely love to create a narrative to go with this story.


No comments:

Post a Comment