Monday, September 13, 2010

Whistle for Willie

Title: Whistle for Willie
Author and Illustrator: Ezra Jack Keats
Type: Picture Book
Grade Level: K-2
Rating: 5 out of 5



Peter’s greatest wish is to whistle!  He wishes he could whistle like the other children and be able to whistle for his dog, Willie.  The story follows Peter’s struggles as he practices and works hard to achieve his dream.

I just love this book.  It was one of my favorites as a child because of the beautiful, bright pictures and also because I could relate with the struggle to whistle.  I remember my older sister was able to whistle and then all my friends could whistle and I still couldn't.  It was so frustrating!  I told my mom of my continual failure and she pulled Whistle for Willie from the bookshelf for the two of us to read.  I connected with Peter right away and it made it easier for me knowing that others struggle with learning how to whistle.  Just like when Peter learned to whistle I too happily showed off to my parents.  I still emotionally connect to Peter because of my past experiences with whistling.

As a child I remember being able to relate to Peter and I’m sure my students would too.  Everyone struggled with whistling and everyone has a story about the first time they were able to.  This may not be the most academic of books but it would definitely be a fun read.  You could pair it with a whistling unit or focus on the artwork and work on collages of your own.  I don't think this book gets enough credit for the beautiful pictures but children certainly appreciate it and I can imagine they would love to try to copy the artistic style.  No matter what you do with the book the children are going to love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment