Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Gingerbread Man

Title: The Gingerbread Man
Author and Illustrator: Carol Jones
Type: Picture Book
Grade Level: 1-3
Rating: 3 out of 5


A gingerbread man escapes from an old couple who baked him and then continues to run away from a series of nursery rhyme characters who hope to eat him.  Eventually he meets up with a fox who promises to help him.  A recipe for gingerbread is included in the back of the book.

It seems like every child grows up knowing and loving the story of The Gingerbread Man.  It's a fun book with a gingerbread cutout who comes alive and goes running along and singing from people who would love to eat him.  I know that after I finished reading the book I had the song stuck in my head.  One concern that I would have with this book is there are some outdated words.  If I was reading the book to my class I could work with them on explaining the words but if they were reading it on their own they might struggle with the old fashion words.

My child study student requested that I bring this book and so when I did the following week she was ecstatic.  This version was different than what I used to.  I don't remember a bunch of nursery rhyme characters being the ones preying on the gingerbread man but I enjoyed that.  Also the pages had a cut out in them so as you read you could see who the next person would be to try to eat the gingerbread man.  My child study student liked those cut outs because they gave her a clue on predicting who was next.  As a teacher you could read the book aloud to your class and then do an activity like a play, a song, an obstacle course or a cooking activity with the book.  There are a lot of options and great things you can do with this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment