Sunday, September 26, 2010

Clifford to the Rescue

Title: Clifford to the Rescue
Author and Illustrator: Norman Bridwell
Type: Picture Book
Grade Level: K-2
Rating: 3 out of 5


Clifford is a very big red dog.  With his owner, Emily Elizabeth, Clifford helps out around his town.  Whether it is catching robbers, rescuing people from a burning building or helping a kitten, Clifford is happily there to help.

Clifford books are classics, I remember growing up on them.  They are simple reads but a child can get a lot out of them.  They are full of lessons, teach about holidays and other things a reader deals with on a daily basis.  It has a little edge also because kids love animals and a dog teaching them lessons is different than a normal kid doing the same things.  I think Clifford books are a great teaching tool because the student is enjoying reading while also learning something.

I had the opportunity to read this book with my child study student and she loved it.  She saw I had a Clifford book and was immediately excited to read it.  She enjoyed making predictions on what would happen next and pointing out what was happening in the pictures.  I had brought the book along because I had been curious if another child would react to and love the books as much as I did when I was a child.  She clearly did and after she was done reading we had a discussion on helping others.  Clifford to the Rescue would be a good book to use in the classroom during a lesson on helping others for younger elementary students.  Like I did with my child study student you could read the book and discuss how you have helped others as an introduction to your lesson.  From my own personal experiences as a reader and also from working with my child study student I think this book would be a very effective teaching tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment