Monday, September 13, 2010

Nicky's Noisy Night

Title: Nicky’s Noisy Night
Author: Harriet Ziefert
Illustrator: Richard Brown
Type: Picture Book
Grade Level: Pre-K
Rating: 3 out of 5


Nicky the kitten can't sleep and so with the help of the reader lifting the flaps he is able to discover what is causing the noises that are keeping him awake.

I remember loving lift-the-flap books and Nicky's Noisy Night was one of my favorites.  Not only is it exciting to guess what is behind that door or curtain or clock but with a lift-the-flap book the reader gets to take charge and interact with the book.  The fun a reader (or listener) can have with this book makes me think of what Mem Fox said about the importance of having fun while reading and making a game of it.  This book is for beginning readers and it does the important job of showing that reading can in fact be fun and lively.  According to Tunnel and Jacobs establishing patterns in writing can be part of what makes a book well-written.  In the book the pages start with saying that something is making a noise and asks who is it?  The pages follow the same pattern which makes the reading predictable and thus easy.  The continual pattern also makes the reading flow smoothly.

I had the opportunity to read this book with my child study student and so I was able to first hand see her come alive with the book.  She could hardly wait to lift the flaps and see what was making the noises disturbing poor Nicky.  Yet, before she opened the flaps we would both make a prediction on what we thought was making the noise.  It was a great opportunity for me to work on making predictions with her and I think as a teacher I could use this in a classroom and work on a unit of making predictions.  This unit would be for younger students based on the reading level of the book so I could pair it up with simple guessing and predicting activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment