Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Cool Drink of Water

Title: A Cool Drink of Water
Author: Barbara Kerley
Photographer: National Geographic
Type: Picture
Grade Level: K-3
Rating: 4 out of 5


A National Geographic book showing through photographs how people around the world acquire their water.

This book really got me to think about how I take advantage of the availability of my water.  All I need to do is turn on the faucet or grab a water bottle and I'm good to go.  It's amazing what people must do to get such an important thing.  As Americans we forget what a necessity water is because it is always at our fingertips.  This book gave me a different perspective and it was a window to different cultures and how people must get their water.

This book would be interesting to use in the classroom.  I'm sure the students would have an eye opening experience like I did on how people get and use their water supply.  This book could be matched up on units about natural resources, conservation or simply just water.  The class could read the book, write about their own experiences, research and make plans for water conservation.  You may want to emphasize the fact that people from different cultures should not be pitied or looked down upon because of the differences in their circumstances.  Rather this is an educational way to see how others live and how their cultures may differ from ours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment